Tuesday, July 17, 2012
Surfer attitude
This post may end up more as a rant, and for that I apologize. I spent hours surfing with a fiend a couple weekends ago. Yeah, the waves were small and inconsistent, but I knew that before going out. For me it was just getting out in the water, hanging with a friend and watching the dolphins, and catching a wave or two was a bonus. Last weekend I met up with my surfing group at 3rd street. I saw people I hadn't seen since last summer, and we cheered each other on, gave pointers and just had fun with it. A great morning was had, and I even got me a new surfing buddy. Then Sunday rolled around. The waves grew in size, but so did the crowds. I was trying to take a friend who had never been surfing, but I realized this probable wasn't the best day for a beginner. It was hard enough getting out thru the breakers, but the crowds made it almost impossible. My friend decided to make it a beach day. My new surfing buddy and I went out to have some fun and we were until "surfer Joe" decided to be a royal ass. I admit, I can't out paddle most of the guys that were out that day, and I kept having to pull out because some other guy got on the wave before me. This sucked, but what sucked more was some random dude yelling at me and telling me I need to paddle in and sit this one out. We exchanged some not so nice words, but I ended up paddling away to avoid a full blown fight. Thanks Dude, I hope you feel masculine and accomplished. I did end up paddling in to hang with my beach friend. I just don't get that attitude that locals have. It's not like there won't be another wave, in oh, about 8 seconds. You don't own the waves, the break or the beach. I don't pretend to be the worlds best surfer. It's just something that I love to do. How quickly people forget how bad they sucked when they were learning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment